Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Urumqi, Stanley Fish, and the Nature of the Sun

China Sends "Harmony Makers" to Urumqi - CNN

One should always be deeply apprehensive when China sends reps with coded names into the fray. Although those syringe attacks sound profoundly sordid. Best wishes to all involved.

What Should Colleges Teach? - NYtimes


Stanley Fish is running a great series on the teaching (and non-teaching) of basic writing skills to university students. As a college student, I admit I am often appalled at the level of writing skill supposedly college-level students display. Basic grammar and punctuation simply can't be ignored until a student waltzes their way into Freshman comp. I was lucky enough to have a few style task-masters in high school that eliminated that silliness from me before I hit college. Fish is on the right track.



The Top 15 Skylines of the World

I remember being blown away by the sheer height of Hong Kong. I felt as if I was stepping into a future that no one had told me about. We took the ferry around the island and I grew more and more amazed as the sun went down: They have buildings this big? This makes New York City look paltry, San Francisco look miniscule, London a mere imposter.

T
urns out the HK skyline really is the most impressive in the world. I'd agree with most of these (having not seen Dubai or Shanghai). And San Francisco can't fail to stir the heart a little when it comes into view across the water.



Finally: Who doesn't love these guys? Infidels?



1 comment:

  1. I have to agree on HK. It's magical. The water in the middle just makes it all better.

    I noted Perth at #37 (or 38?) but the photo examples are both old and shot from less than great angles. The skyline has a lot more in it now...and the view of it across the Swan River at night with the lights reflecting is darned snappy.

    ReplyDelete